Brandon Fellowship Application Period Closed at 5pm
The Brandon Fellowship will provide university-style studio space at GCCA for a period of six months, renewable for one additional six-month period, along with a stipend for supplies and access to a number of classes taught at GCCA. The three main goals of the Brandon Fellowship are:
- to support talented artists who may not otherwise have access to a formal art education;
- to foster a sense of community;
- to promote diversity at the Greenville Center for Creative Arts.
Criteria for eligibility
Criteria for eligibility may vary over time depending on the demographic make-up of the active artist community at GCCA. To fulfill the goal of promoting diversity, initially and for the foreseeable future, the basic criteria for selection are as follows:
- Successful candidates will be highly talented, self-motivated artists with the discipline to work on their own. They will also be community-minded and eager to participate in group activities with other Brandon Fellows, such as museum and studio visits, lectures, and occasional volunteering activities in the schools and at GCCA.
- Three fellowships will be offered to artists from targeted communities in Greenville County: one artist from the African American Community, one artist from the Hispanic Community, and one Community-at-large artist.
- Applicants must be resident of Greenville County.
- At the time of application an applicant must be a citizen of the United States or a lawful permanent resident of the United States for at least 5 years, and between 21 and 30 years of age.
- Prior professional art training or post-secondary education is not required.
- Selection will be made without regard to marital status, sexual orientation, religion, or disability.
Benefits of the Brandon Fellowship
- A dedicated university style studio space at GCCA. Brandon Fellows must spend a minimum of 25 hours per week in the studio. (Studio access is available from 7:30 am to 10:30 pm, seven days a week.)
- A $250 stipend for art supplies per six-month period;
- Dedicated tutors, assigned based on stated interest and preferred medium, who will guide Brandon Fellows during their residency;
- Access to 1 GCCA class per session plus access to any class that is not filled;
- Support and mentorship from GCCA studio artists and exhibiting artists;
- Participation in group exhibitions and community events;
- Participation in alumni events.